For the last 2 years, I've known a boy named JR (Short for Junior). When I first met him I thought that he was afraid of me or didn't like me. How wrong I was. Several months into our acquaintance/friendship, I became aware of his adoration for me...but I was not having it. I convinced myself that I was not interested in the boy. He "wasn't my type". Meaning he was a nice guy who treated me like a Goddess. I usually don't go for guys who are good for me.
But that was not an obstacle for JR. He still pursued me w/ quiet vigor. Case in point: the first date he asked me on was to CIRQUE DE SOLE!!! By far, it was the best date I'd ever been on (even beating Prom...but that's mainly because my date was gay, so I got no Prom "action".)
Yet, still I chose to ignore the glorious being before me. I had no intention to start a relationship w/ anyone at the time (especially w/ the perfect man) because I was dying a little bit. You see: I was going through my last semester of school, searching for a career job, got forced untimingly out of my apartment, moved and was in the campus hospital (twice). I didn't quite have the faculties to cultivate a relationship. So I told the dear boy that I just didn't see him that way. (Ouch!)
Then summer came a long. I was working at 2 part time jobs, frustrated w/ the economy and my life. JR was still there. We hung out a great deal, and with most of my stresses out of the picture and the time to contemplate my existence, I began to realize how amazing the boy in front of me was. But I figured I had missed out again on perfection, so I kept my mouth shut. Hell! I even helped him plan dates for another girl he was interested in!
And then COMI-CON 2008 came. I had ever been before, but a friend took me on a Thursday and my inner nerd came out w/ a vengeance! So when JR told me he had a free ticket for me closing day, even though it was Sunday, I couldn't resist. It was very crowded and naturally we had to hold on to each other. But, oh how my stomach fluttered when he grabbed my hand! I couldn't help but grin the entire time. Every vendor we talked to assumed we were a couple or already married. Even the sleazy utility-kilt salesman that somehow convinced JR to drop his drawers in the middle of the convention! (It was a little shocking, but he was trying on a kilt and covered the entire time...don't worry. I had my back turned and my eyes shut tight!)
We visited a friend's house afterwards and I couldn't be more than 1 foot away from him. I had to be near him. It was insane. How was I falling for one of my favorite guy pals? I was not expecting that at all!
On the way home, I couldn't handle it anymore. So I called the boy and told him that I had fallen fast and hard for him...but that I knew I had missed the opportunity and just needed him to tell me it wouldn't work out so I could move on. With a studder, he said, "Wh--wait! I still like you. But then there's ____. I need to think. Let's talk tomorrow when you come over."
I could barely sleep. I came over to help him move as soon as I could the next day and made it a point to make it known that I was very interested in him. By the end of the day, it was covertly official. We were an item! Off the hook!!!
Our relationship may have moved a bit fast (heck...with in 1 week, I dropped the "L" bomb! But that was mainly because I was sedated with heavy allergy/anaphylactic shock medication). But as soon as I got over my stubbornness and realized how perfect JR was, I waisted no time. Within 6 weeks of officially dating exclusively, my buddy proposed!!!! This is the letter I sent to friends and family:
I can't even begin to tell you how slowly the next 3 months is going to move! I am so lucky and stoked, I could just spit.
This seems more like a journal entry than a blog, but I figured I would hit 2 birds w/ one stone and make sure this entry lived on in infamy for all our posterity.
I LIKE JR!!! I LIKE HIM A LOT!!! GO MUNSON!
2 comments:
Congrat-freaking-u-lations! I am so excited for you. Demands: 1. a picture. 2. more information (i.e. the date, place, etc.) I love you lots!
I so called it!!! I love you two together. go McMunson! :)
Post a Comment