Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!"



Moving can be a very boring, tedious process. Not much mental stimulation, just organizing and trying to see how much you can stuff into one box or another.

Being that I naturally day dream, I tend to let my mind wander as much as it pleases. Most of the time I end up thinking about food, or where I would like to eat this food? I haven't always been so obsessed with food. I liked it, and I ate it. But I didn't fantasize about the food I was craving on a constant basis.
  • "Why would you care so much, Adri?" you might ask. Well, in the Spring of 2008, I was ultimately (but questionably) diagnosed with GERD (Gastroesophogael Reflux Disease), Lactose Intolerance and severe allergies to Strawberries. Not that you need to know my medical history. This just means that there are a whole lot of foods that I can't eat. The long list of things I CAN NOT CONSUME include (but are not limited to):
  • Tomatoes
  • Fried or Greasy Food
  • Chocolate
  • Mint
  • Citrus
  • Strawberries
  • Dairy Products ( I can have a little if I take a Lactose pill or 2)
  • Carbonated drinks (especially Colas)
  • Caffeine (no big deal)
  • Alcohol (even less of a big deal to avoid)
  • Spicy foods (which I've always hated to begin with)



Maybe it doesn't sound like a lot of food to avoid, but one or all of these delectables are ingredients in most of the food I know and love. Sometimes I crave the food I can't have so intensely that I make JR get whatever I want to eat and I take as many bites as I can before I start to feel sick! My lovely human trash can of a husband simply eats what I can't finish (that, my dears, is true love)!

I'd have to compare my relationship with food to a tumultuous (even abusive) relationship.... you know it's bad for you, but you just can't live without it! Sometimes it feels like prison! I'm eternally stuck in a medically enforced diet! I miss food so much!

Among the food I miss and crave the most are:
  1. LASAGNA!
    (Tomato sauce and cream make it doubley difficult to even attempt to enjoy!)
  2. ITALIAN FOOD!
    (As you see from reason 1, most all Italian Food is greasy, tomato or cream filled. I think I miss Lasagna and Ravioli the most!)
  3. MEXICAN FOOD!
    (See reason 1 and 2)
  4. ENCHILADAS!
    (I especially miss the sauce and gooey cheese!)
  5. ACTIVA YOGURT!
    (I'm not a yogurt fan, but it tastes so smooth and really works like it claims to work...if you know what I mean!)
  6. ICE CREAM & FROZEN YOGURT!
    (Most fervently, I miss: Thrifty's Chocolate Malted Crunch and anything from Yogurt Mill in El Cajon, CA!)
  7. FRENCH FRIES, TATOR TOTS AND MOZZARELLA STICKS!
    (Basically any of those fried, fattening side dishes that no one in their right mind should consume)
  8. KETCHUP!
    (I used to put it on anything I could get away with!)
  9. FRY SAUCE!
    (It's a mainly Utah invention, consisting of Ketchup, Mayo and some other mystery spices that make it irresistible. Best place to have Fry Sauce: Hires Big H in Salt Lake City. Enjoy it for me, won't you!)
  10. RANCH DRESSING!
    (If I could, I would put it on anything and everything! Don't judge me! I still sneak it every now and then.)
  11. BURRITOS!
    (Not the spicy ones, but the truly delectable ones found only in California!)
  12. BJ's RESTAURANT PIZZA!
    (I'm not a pizza fan, but their's is beyond amazing! Oy!!!)
  13. CHOCOLATE AND MINT!
    (Who would have thought that something so loving would hurt so much! I still eat it, but in small shots!)
  14. MACCARONI AND CHEESE!
    (Not the Kraft-in-a-box sludge, but the oooey gooey crap that you find at questionable buffets! Who had the best? By far- Hometown Buffet! Nasty, I know. But a girl can dream, right?)
  15. CHEESE OF ANY KIND!
    (I was a cheese and dairy fiend before I became lactose intolerant. Who wouldn't be. It's everywhere in our culture. Damn you, stomach!)
  16. GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES!
    (I used to eat them on cold days with Tomato soup. Mmmmmm! I can almost handle them now, but I have to use veggie or tofu cheese and be sure not to use too much PAM or butter.)

Now that I sound like a guilty former fat kid, tell me your foodie guilty pleasures!

3 comments:

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

I need to be better at following your blog. You are hilarious. (Although this post makes me sad.)

Adriane the Great said...

Awe! Thanks. I need to read my own blog more often too. JR is very anti blogs. He's lazy. I bribed him to write once, but the bribe didn't involve Star Wars, so he didn't do it. Boo.

<3 you!

Unknown said...

I'm thinking this is what I have... I can't eat all of those things either.... I just figured I'd just stay away from them. Didn't know there was an actual name for it... hmmmmmmmm